Saturday, June 3, 2017

Rest, Refresh, Regroup


Greetings All!

It's been too long since I last wrote. I am so happy to be back.

The occasion that initiates my return to Searching for Sanctuary is a two-month sabbatical leave so generously provided by my congregation, Palm West Community Church of Sun City West, Arizona. The congregation and its leaders place a high value on keeping their pastors spiritually, mentally, emotionally, and physically healthy. So at the conclusion of each five-year period of full-time pastoral service, a sabbatical leave is granted and encouraged. My senior pastor and colleague, Bruce Schipul, gave me persistent encouragement to "go for it." Thank you, Bruce. 

I was actually supposed to take this leave last year, but was not ready to take advantage of this rich opportunity. In the summer of 2016 (when I was supposed to have been on sabbatical, Christine and I went to Poland for a week with the Arizona Sacred Chorale, led by Dr. Tom Bookhout and hosted by Next Generation Mission. The 26 singers and Christine as piano and organ accompanist performed sacred choral works in mostly medieval churches and cathedrals in the southwest region of Poland. It was a wonderful experience and also our first time traveling to Europe. But enough of that for now. Maybe I'll post a report of that experience later.

So now I am beginning my seventh year at Palm West - I started in May of 2011. Christine and I have been planning for the past six months to make two "bucket list" journeys together and for me to formalize, edit, and create new calls to worship - of the type included in my previous blogs.

Our two "bucket list" destinations? Washington D.C. and Italy, specifically Florence and Rome. Why D.C. (or "the District" I've read the locals prefer)? First, to view firsthand the seat of American political power; Second, to enjoy the many museums scattered throughout the city; Third, to experience the various war memorials; Finally, to capture a sense of American history resident in this grand showcase of these United States.

And then on to Italy! Four days in Florence, the birthplace of the Renaissance, and three days in Rome, the birthplace of Western civilization! And the city of great art and architecture, and ancient ruins, and the frescoes of Michelangelo in the Sistine Chapel - and the seedbed of the Protestant Reformation. 

I know, I know, Martin Luther, the great reformer was from Germany not Italy. You are correct. But had it not been for the excesses and abuses of the late medieval Latin church which he sought to bring under obedience to the word of God, we would not have the American Protestantism we know today.

OK, so this is our grand adventure for the summer. My desire is to write a weekly report for you here at Searching for Sanctuary. Who knows, some picture might even be included.

Ciao! for now.

2 comments:

  1. Please come see us or let us know when you are in DC as we are only 1.5 hours away or and hour from Gettysburg. We could meet you for dinner or something if you don't want to come out to PA. It is gorgeous here and lots of history! Highly recommend the car tour of Gettysburg and seeing the changing of the guard at Arlington.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy a refreshing and relaxing sabbatical, Peter and Christine! We'll look forward to your weekly blogs.

    Godspeed,

    Marietta and Ted Faszer

    ReplyDelete