Thursday, September 2, 2010

Blog #004 - To Pay or Not to Pay

Let’s talk about money and motivation.

Does the personal motivation of the worship band member matter to the worshiper? If the band member is doing the job well, wholeheartedly, humbly, responsibly, we don’t think it matters if they are motivated by money or by personal spiritual passion. The typical churchgoer does not question the motivation of musicians who play on sound tracks to the videos or background trax used in church. The motivation of these studio musicians does not affect our ability to worship.

Paying the core musicians (in the typical US church - bass, drums, lead guitar, maybe keys) is a way to ensure precise and consistent quality in the foundation of the music. Incorporating adequately skilled volunteers who sing or play various instruments allows involvement of folks from the congregation at large. With good leadership, the addition of volunteer musicians won’t detract from the solid musical core.

To be a paid musician doesn’t mean he or she has to come from outside the church community. The paid musician could certainly come from within the congregation. He or she might be a respected, talented member of that church. If a musician needs to be recruited from outside the church, it may give the opportunity to draw the artist toward a beginning or deeper relationship with Christ.

Remuneration, whether it is for someone within the church or someone recruited from elsewhere does at least three things: 1) It shows respect to the musician for their years of training and practice; 2) It shows honor and appreciation for their talent; and 3) (and probably most pragmatically) it reserves their time - they likely could be playing any number of places and paying them locks in their commitment to serve with you.

What do you think?

6 comments:

  1. Hi! Christine and Peter..I thoroughly enjoyed reading your comments on the church music and paying for the musical talent God sends our way...I have been the reciever of many blessed years with professional musicians in our church who are dedicated to Our Lord and can benefit the congregation with their time and talent and receive a token of our appreciation. The volunteers have also been a true encouragement to me.... God bless you for the reminder. Shirley Ware

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Peter & Christine,

    Fun to read your blog! You know you two were instrumental (no pun intended) in my early steps of being a worship leader. I still remember you guys taking me out to help look at a keyboard for WGBC...that Korg was nice :)

    Your topic is interesting. I've always been a volunteer member of our worship teams...at some churches no one was paid, at the one I'm currently at our main worship "director" is the only paid position...although several volunteers in the worship team give some significant hours each month to the ministry, and I split time with the director doing the actual leading. I guess I've always felt like my volunteer ministry would somehow be compromised if I received money for it but you make some great points to the contrary. I wonder what sort of renumeration levels you've seen at the various places you've been. I know some churches simply can't afford to pay more than one main director position. Anyway, I look forward to future posts from you two :)

    Bill Ramirez :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a problem with compensating musicians and worship leaders. What I'm torn about is whether the spiritual life and moral actions of the people leading us in worship should be considered before we put them on stage. When you know the musicians or singers aren't "walking the walk," it can detract from worship (speaking from personal experience). But I know some worship leaders who consider including such people on the worship team to be an outreach to those very people. I'm not sure what I believe about this, but I lean toward thinking that the state of their hearts does matter. In Scripture, the Lord makes it clear that he's disgusted by our prayers/worship/fasting when we don't back it up with obedience (e.g., Isaiah 58, Isaiah 29:13). I understand a desire for excellence in the music, but I wonder if the heart of the worship leaders matters more. This is something I've wrestled and am wrestling with, so I'd love to hear your thoughts.

    Thanks for this blog. It's wonderful!

    Kellee Katagi

    ReplyDelete
  4. ... So... Basically you're saying that as long as someone meets your moral standard they shouldn't be able to play music in church?

    I know that God set a standard but who is eligible to uphold it? Can you only sin a little and then you can play in church?

    Furthermore, what does that say about your heart if you can't worship God because of another person's sin. I mean, if you can't see God in spite of the brokenness of our existence how could we see God at all?

    ReplyDelete
  5. When someone who is lacking in skills tries to lead others in worship, it's painful and distracting from worship no matter how sincere they are. Worship (paid or not) should be led by people who are gifted in that area. The money isn't an issue for me - paid or volunteer is not a spiritual issue. Do what needs to be done, and focus on leading people into God's presence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As someone who's worked in the secular industry (theatre and symphony), I know of several musicians who are not believers who consistently go to church because they have gigs to play in the service. It's a great outreach and gives them a place in our community, even if on the fringes. Plows the field as it were. However, I wouldn't put this person in a teaching position as their views are often in opposition to the Bible.

    While I agree that God doesn't like it when we don't back up our worship with obedience, I'm not sure that's for the unbeliever. At that point, it's more about the fact that he or she doesn't have Jesus in their lives. Singing/playing that song is about the music, not about worship.

    But for the believer walking in sin? All have fallen short of the glory of God, true, but someone who is blatant and unrepentant? I think scripture talks about how to address that in other passages. And those means of addressing that sin is for the good of that particular person, not just the congregation.

    ReplyDelete